Union Public Service Commission UPSC, is going to conduct the Combined Defence Services (CDS) written examination for recruitment of various vacancies under Indian Military Academy, Indian Naval Academy, Air Force Academy and Officers Training Academy. It is conducted two times every year in February & November. Here we provide UPSC CDS Exam Syllabus 2017 along with previous years sample paper, books ,Official PDF downloads, exam pattern etc.
UPSC CDS Latest Syllabus 2017
Following is the Exam Pattern & Latest Syllabus for UPSC CDS exam. Candidates who are going to attend or are preparing for this exam can get latest syllabus from here. So check out the latest syllabus and exam pattern for the better preparation and to get successful result.
UPSC CDS Selection Procedure consists of four stages.
1. Written Exam
2. Interview/ Intelligence Test/ Personality Test
3. Document Verification
4. Medical Examination
Written Exam Pattern:
- Written Exam consists of Objective Type questions
- Time duration 2hrs and maximum marks is 100 for each subject.
- For the candidates who are appearing for Indian Military Academy, Naval Academy, Air force Academy written test comprising of English, General Knowledge and Elementary mathematics subjects
- For candidates who are appearing for officers training academy the written test comprising of English and General Knowledge.
- Candidates who are declared successful in the written exam will be detailed for intelligence and personality test at the Service Selection Board based on their preference, by the respective service HQ.
- The maximum marks allotted to the written examination and to the interviews will be equal for each course. i.e the maximum marks allotted to the written examination and to the interviews will be 300, 300, 300 and 200 each for admission to the Indian Military Academy, Indian Naval Academy, Air Force Academy and Officers Training Academy respectively.
- The question papers of General Knowledge and Elementary Mathematics will be set bilingually in Hindi as well as English.
- In the question papers, wherever necessary, questions involving the metric system of Weighs and Measures only will be set.
- CDS exam consist negative marking. For each wrong answers,you will loose 1/3 of your total marks.
The CDS syllabus details is given below.
PAPER – 1: ENGLISH:
The question paper will be designed to test the candidates’ understanding of English and workmanlike use of words.
PAPER – 2: GENERAL KNOWLEDGE:
General Knowledge including knowledge of current events and of such matters of everyday observation and experience in their scientific aspects as may be expected of an educated person who has not made a special study of any scientific subject. The Paper will also include questions on History of India and Geography of a nature which Candidate should be able to answer without special study.
PAPER – 3: ELEMENTARY MATHEMATICS:
Arithmetic:Number System-Natural numbers, Integers, Rational and Real numbers. Fundamental Operations addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, Square roots, Decimal, fractions. Unitary method, time and distance, time and work, percentages, applications to simple and compound interest, profit and loss, ratio and proportion, variation.
Elementary Number Theory
vision algorithm. Prime and composite numbers. Tests of divisibility by 2, 3,4,5,9 and 11. Multiples and factors. Factorisation Theorem. H.C.F. and L.C.M. Euclidean algorithm, Logarithms to base 10, laws of logarithms, use of logarithmic tables.
Basic Operations, simple factors, Remainder Theorem, H.C.F., L.C.M. Theory of polynomials, Solutions of quadratic equations, relation between its roots and coefficients (Only real roots to be considered). Simultaneous linear equations in two unknowns-analytical and graphical solutions. Simultaneous linear in equations in two variables and their solutions. Practical problems leading to two simultaneous linear equations or in equations in two Variables or quadratic equations in one variable & their solutions. Set language and set notation, rational expressions and conditional identities, Laws of indices.
Sine x, cosine x, Tangent x when 0 ≤x ≤90 Values of sin x, cos x and tan x, for x = 0, 30, 45, 60 and 90
Simple trigonometric identities.
Use of trigonometric tables.
Simple cases of heights and distances.
Lines and angles, Plane and plane figures, Theorems on (i) Properties of angles at a Point(ii) Parallel lines, (iii) Sides and angles of a triangle, (iv) Congruency of triangles, (v) Similar triangles, (vi) Concurrence of medians and altitudes, (vii) Properties of angles, sides and diagonals of a parallelogram, rectangle and square (viii) Circles and its properties including tangents and normal, (ix) Loci.
Areas of squares, rectangles, parallelograms, triangle and circle. Areas of figures which Can be split up into these figures (Field Book), Surface area and volume of cuboids, lateral surface and volume of right circular cones and cylinders, surface area and Volume of spheres.
Collection and tabulation of statistical data, Graphical representation, frequency Polygons, histograms, bar charts, pie charts etc. Measures of central tendency.
Following books will helpful in preparation of this exam:
- Pathfinder CDS Examination Conducted by UPSC
- CDS 10 Years Topic-wise Solved Papers 2007-2016 (with free GK E-books)
- Chapterwise-Sectionwise Solved Paper of CDS Mathematics| English |General Ability
- Pathfinder CDS Entrance Examination Conducted By UPSC by Expert Compilations (25-Aug-04) Paperback
Official Website: www.upsc.gov.in
Put your queries & suggestion in the comment box below. For more updates regarding syllabus of any other upcoming exam keep in touch with our website Syllbuspaper.in